Summary: Word processing software helps you in writing error-free and concise text by identifying and correcting any grammatical, punctuation, and contextual errors. Learn more about the various software you can use for this purpose!
Creating, organizing, and editing your content might get overwhelming especially when you are not using a tool for the same. However, with the availability of an online word processor, things have gotten much easier for users to generate, organize their content, and quickly make changes to their documents.
With word processing software, you can create, edit, save, and store digital documents. Further, you can also change the font, document layout and even add images and tables to it. Keep on reading if you want to learn more about the usage of word processor software in the article below!
Table of Contents
What is Word Processing Software?
A word processor software is used for generating, storing, managing, and printing different text files. With it, you can easily create and edit text, check grammatical errors, adjust tone and structure paragraphs, and so on. In addition to that, you can use it to change the document layout, add tables and graphs, and export them in different file formats.
Word processing software has become a popular tool nowadays as it enables users to generate resumes, cover letters, blogs, novels, screenplays, and more with ready to use templates.
List of 9 Best Word Processing Software
A word processing software can help you in changing the font and layout of your text with various pre-built templates.
Further, you can also insert graphs, charts, and graphics in your documents with this tool. Here are some of the best tools you can consider for this purpose:
Microsoft Word is word processing software to improve your writing, generate documents, and collaborate with others in real-time. It can be used to edit documents, save your documents in cloud, add comments in your documents, and to get automated word suggestions.
Further, it offers audio and visual assistance tools to read and comprehend documents. Microsoft Word also provides various fonts, icons, stickers, etc., to add to your documents.
Microsoft Word Features
- Offers various templates to create resumes
- Saves documents in PDF format
- Manages permissions for accessing the documents
- Supports real-time collaboration to edit documents
- Automatically checks for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors in documents via Microsoft Editor
Pros and Cons of Microsoft Word
Free Trial: Available
Microsoft Word Pricing: Free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 4,899.00/year
Suggested Read: Best Free Microsoft Office Alternatives
Google Doc is a web-based word processing program that creates and formats various documents easily. With it, you can work on a single document with multiple people and all the changes will be automatically saved. Google Doc can also be used offline via the chrome browser.
Google Doc Features
- Edit files and documents simultaneously in real-time
- Supports exporting of Google docs into Word, PDF, Text, and HTML file
- Offers built in chat to collaborate on documents
- Maintains unlimited revision history of all docs to track changes
- Offers built-in intelligence to get grammar and spelling suggestions
- Encrypts all the data at rest and transit to keep it secure
Pros and Cons of Google Doc
Free Trial: Free to use
Google Doc Pricing: Free to use
Grammarly is an online writing enhancement software that helps you to improve your content by identifying any type of grammatical errors, punctuation, or contextual errors. With it, you can easily create clear and concise content by rectifying errors, improving sentence structure, adding citation, adjusting tone, and so on.
- Highlights all grammatical issues
- Points out improvement areas to improve writing
- Makes text corrections when working on different websites via a browser extension
- Helps in adjusting the tone of documents including formal, informal, joyful, etc.
- Manages roles and permissions to access the software
Pros and Cons of Grammarly
Free Trial: Available for 7 days
Pricing of Grammarly: Free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 984/month
Suggested Read: Free Grammar Checker Apps and Tools
ProWritingAid is an AI tool that you can use for improving your writing in emails and Google docs. In addition, you can also use it for checking complex sentences, repeated words, readability and structure issues, etc. You can also use it to change the style of writing for your documents.
- Checks for grammar, spelling, and readability issues in real-time
- Offers an editing tool to identify repetitiveness, sentence length variation, passive voice, etc., in documents
- Provides in app suggestions to improve your writing style
- Suggests relevant words to match your writing
- Offers integration with MS Word, Google Docs, Open Office, etc., to edit docs in real time
Pros and Cons of ProWritingAid
Free Trial of ProWritingAid: Not available
Pricing of ProWritingAid: Free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 1650/month
Scrivener word processer can be used for various purposes including creating documents, compiling research sources, organizing documents, etc. It also offers a spelling and grammar checker to write error-free content. Further, you can also break the text into multiple sections with Scrivener to increase readability.
Features of Scrivener
- Offers various text formatting presets
- Easily adds comments and annotations to your text
- Imports different files formats into the solution
- Highlights the phases that needs improvement
- Compose the text in both long and short format
- Offers Corkboard to arrange sections of the doc in visual cards and boards
Pros and Cons of Scrivener
Free Trial: Available
Scrivener Pricing: Offers license to use the product for INR 5200 for MacOS users only
Ginger is an AI-based writing assistant that helps you in correcting your text, enhance the writing style, and boost creativity. This tool can detect errors in your content 5x faster than Microsoft Word and lets you create error-free content for social media, academic essays, research papers, etc.
Features of Ginger
- Checks text for grammar, spelling, etc., errors
- Translates your documents in 40+ languages
- Rephrase text heavy sentences with artificial intelligence to create concise content
- Provides AI-based synonyms recommendations
- Provides text suggestions for different platforms including Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Pros and Cons of Ginger
Free Trial: Not available
Ginger Pricing: Free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 188/month
Ulysses is an advanced writing application designed for Mac, iPhone, and iPad users to generate and organize their documents. With it, you can get AI-based text suggestions, create documents of any size, export documents into multiple formats, automatically correct grammar.
- Divides long passages into short paras to increase readability
- Converts the text into eBooks and Word manuscript
- Publishes blogs directly to WordPress, Medium, Micro.blog, etc.
- Organizes different text into separate folders based on your clients.
- Offers a markup-based text editor to convert text to HTML
Pros and Cons of Ulysses
Free Trial: Available
Pricing: No free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 493.05/month
With it, you can save documents to the cloud, create work snapshots for backup, format documents in MLA, APA paper format, etc. It also offers a Lightweight Markup to format all your text documents.
Features of JotterPad
- Easily publishes blogs to different blogging sites
- Export your documents into multiple formats including DOCX and PDF
- Generates fully formatted eBooks
- Provides 100+ templates for writing novels, screenplays, letters, etc.
- Offers built-in dictionary to search for definitions, synonyms, antonyms, etc.
Pros and Cons of JotterPad
Free Trial: Available
Pricing: Free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 274.54/ month
Readable online word processor used to scan, score and monitor the website content for readability, grammar, and spelling errors.
You can also use it to check the readability of your documents. With it, you can generate readability reports, check tone and sentiment of your content, analyze writing style, detect passive voice in your content, etc.
Features of Readable
- Checks website and document readability
- Offers various readability formulas like Flesch-Kincaid and IELTS to improve readability score
- Offers reach metrics to identify the % of audience that can comprehend your content
- Checks for keyword density to avoid keyword stuffing in content
- Fixes grammatical and spelling issues
Pros and Cons of Readable
Free Trial: Available for 7 days
Pricing of Readable: No free plan available | Paid plan starts from INR 658.96/month
Features of Word Processing Software
Some common features of Word Processing Software are
- Grammar Checker: The tool creates grammatically correct content by identifying and rectifying grammatical errors in documents.
- Text Manipulation: The tool can manipulate documents by letting you add different elements such as images and tables to it.
- File Export: With this, you can export documents in different formats such as PDF, Word, HTML, etc.
- Word Suggestion: With the power of AI, the tool can provide suggestions for synonyms and antonyms to improve the writing quality.
- Rephrase: This feature helps in rephrasing the wordy sentences into clear and short sentences to improve readability.
- Readability Score: The tool will provide a readability score after analyzing the sentence structure, tone, words, grammar, etc., in your documents.
Basic Functions of Word Processing Software
A word processing software can perform the following functions
- It helps in creating a summary of the given document
- The tool helps in adjusting the page layout in terms of the page size, margins, indentations, etc.
- It comes with a feature to create and edit the table’s formats
- The software helps in creating different documents such as books, novels, essays, and so on.
- Word Processing Software helps in rectifying any type of contextual errors in the content.
- The tool can be used for formatting text in terms of font size, bold and italic words, etc.
Benefits and Limitations of Word Processing Tool
Benefits of Word Processing Tool
- It offers multiple modules for formatting, editing, and deleting text in a single solution.
- It makes it easier to publish blogs to multiple blogging sites.
- You can easily undo changes made to a text document
- You can collaborate with other members in real time to work on a specific file.
- Word Processing Tool lets you merge different documents into a single file.
- It can also help you in checking the keyword density in your projects.
Limitations of Word Processing Tool
- These tools might not a reliable source to check plagiarism
- Most word processing tools may not work offline and require you to always stay connected to the internet.
- The AI word suggester sometimes might not suggest appropriate words that may fit in the context of your documents.
Word processing software is becoming an important tool for creating and editing documents. Whether for personal use or professional use, word processing systems are helping users to write and edit more content that is clear and easy to understand for users.
Moreover, with the availability of cloud technology, you can sync your documents and work together with other members in real-time.l
What is word processing software and examples?
A word processing software helps you to create, edit, and share your documents. It can also be used for checking grammatical and plagiarism issues in your writing. Some examples of this tool include Microsoft Word, Google Doc, Grammarly, Prowritingaid, Scrivener, Ginger, etc.
What are the 5 word processing software?
There are several word processing software available to create and edit documents. However, the top software includes ClickUp, Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Grammarly, and Dropbox Paper.
What are the advantages of word processing software?
There are multiple benefits of using word processing software such as editing and formatting text, adding citations in documents, eliminating grammatical and punctuation errors. Further, it also helps you to easily adjust the tone of your documents.
Why use word processor software?
The word processor software lets you create error-free and grammatically correct content. Additionally, it also lets you add different elements such as images, tables, graphs, and charts to your documents.
What is free word processor software?